Bishop House, Snehsadan, Jabalpur 0761-2622413, 2621169 snehasadan@rediffmail.com
Keep yourself busy always in your work for the Lord. || Admin ||

SECRETARY

Fr. Jagan

It is indeed a matter of great pleasure to present one more edition of THE DIOCESAN DIRECTORY with more updated information, incorporating the new Centres and Ventures which the diocese has entered in to for achieving the aims and objectives of the Organization for the greater glory of God and welfare of the people. It is an ongoing process of the Diocese to explore more new avenues and opportunities for the benefit of the people of God.

The Diocesan Directory 2015 is the fruit of the committed efforts of a team of people comprising of Priests, Religious and the Diocesan Curia Staff. They have taken all the care to provide all the valid informations in the Directory to the best of accuracy based on the information available in the Curia and collected from different sources. Still, in every effort there can always be a possibility of errors and omissions and if you come across any such errors or omissions in the directory the team sincerely regrets for the same.

Nothing is possible without the blessings of God and it is His inspiration and guidance, which helped in the making of the Diocesan Directory 2015 for which we thank Him and seek His divine blessings for each and every person in the Diocese of Jabalpur.

Read More

NOTICE

RECENT HAPPENING



WELCOME To Our Diocese

The first Roman Catholics arrived in Jabalpur in 1840 with the establishment of a military regiment in Jabalpur by the British East India Company, as the infamous Thugs frequently attacked them. One of the camps of the Thugs was in and around Jabalpur. Hence some English Officers with their Indian regiment, mostly the Tamils, came from their Cantonment at Kamptee to trace the Thugs and took several hundreds of them prisoners. From then on, a smaller regiment stayed on in Jabalpur and the Irish Secular Priests of Madras Vicariate that was established in 1834 started visiting them.

Until the erection of Visakhpatanam Vicariate, Kamptee was under Madras Vicariate. When Vishakpatanam was erected a Vicariate on March 16, 1845, Kamptee came under Vishakapatanam. From the beginning, Jabalpur was an outstation of Kamptee and remained so until 1858, when Jabalpur became an independent station and received the first resident priest who was the military chaplain in Jabalpur. Thereafter the march towards radiating the light of Christ was a continuous process and that light has been spread into the various parts of Jabalpur diocese over the years that followed. From 1850’s the MSFS Fathers served the Church in Jabalpur. Fr. Amedee Delalex was the first pairsh priest of SS. Peter & Paul Church, Jabalpur who served for 30 years until his death on 10th July 1889. Fr. Lavorel MSFS made the first attempt of evangelization of Mandla during 1859-1864. Sagar-Shampura-Bina stations were taken care of by the Italian Capucins till 1926 and thereafter by the Maltese Capucins till 1929, when they handed over the pastoral care of these stations to the Norbertines in December 1929. Jabalpur became a Prefecture Apostolic on July 18, 1932 and a diocese on July 5, 1954. From this time on, many priests of Indian origin started serving Jabalpur - the number of diocesan priests began to increase steadily and soon they had taken the lead.

Jabalpur diocese was blessed with four Bishops who lead this diocese through thick and thin. The pioneer Bishop Conrad Dubbelman O. Praem was among the first Norbertines who took over pastoral care and evangelization of Jabalpur and became the first and only Prefect Apostolic of Jabalpur in 1933 and in 1954 when Jabalpur was made a diocese, he became the first Bishop of Jabalpur. Bishop Leobard D’Souza, the second Bishop of Jabalpur was a ‘Jabalpur boy’ in all sense as he was brought up in Jabalpur, studied in St. Aloysius School and was ordained a priest for the diocese of Jabalpur. A Norbertine stalwart, Rt. Rev. Theophane O.Praem was chosen to be the third Bishop of Jabalpur in 1977 and on Bishop Theophane rendering his resignation due to his ill-health, Rt. Rev. Gerald Almeida was selected to be the fourth Bishop of Jabalpur.